Thursday, August 18, 2011

s'mores cupcakes


This post is long overdue!  Way back in June, we went on a family camping trip with my friend Reggie and her friend Showshan.  I wanted to make something for dessert, and since s'mores are the ultimate camping dessert, I made s'mores cupcakes!  I've actually wanted to make these cupcakes for some time now, after seeing these s'mores cupcakes from Xiaolu at 6 Bittersweets.  But I never had an occasion until now.


Since Reggie's daughter is allergic to dairy, I changed the recipe slightly.  At the bottom of the cupcake was a graham cracker crust, which I made with oil instead of butter.  Then came a moist chocolate cake, with which I substituted soymilk instead of milk.


Then it was all topped with a marshmallow frosting.  The original recipe called for a frosting made with whipped uncooked egg whites, but since I knew we'd be camping and didn't want to have to worry about keeping the cupcakes cool, I made this homemade marshmallow frosting instead.  All it contained was water, gelatin, and sugar - and it tasted exactly like marshmallows!


Once the marshmallow frosting was whipped to the right consistency, I piped it on as fast as I could before it cooled and set.  By the time I piped the last few cupcakes, the marshmallow frosting had become so difficult to pipe, it was like squeezing a giant solid marshmallow through the piping tip!


The final touch was toasting the marshmallow frosting with my creme brulee torch.  I wanted the frosting to be like freshly toasted marshmallows while we were camping, so I even brought my torch along to the campsite! Hope everyone enjoyed them!

14 comments:

  1. Perfection. I would love one of these beauties.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look so yummy -- I hope you enjoyed them! They're still some of the best cupcakes I've ever made. Were the proportions about right for the base and cake? When I made the original recipe they were totally off so I adjusted the one I posted on my site. Good call on using a non-perishable frosting. LOL that you brought your torch camping. Totally something I'd do too ;p.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These cupcakes are gorgeous and I bet delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @briarrose - thank you! :)

    @Lauren at Keep It Sweet - yes they were yummy, but best when the frosting was freshly bruleed :)

    @Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets - the proportions worked out fine for me, i used the recipe on the martha stewart site. i think next time i'll have to try the original egg white frosting though, because while the marshmallow frosting tasted great freshly bruleed, once cold it was kind of dense like a marshmallow and would almost come off the cupcake with the first bite!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! Those look so cute. I loooove anything s'more flavoured :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These little beauties sound marvelous! Gorgeous~

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG they look so yummy. Love roasted marshmallowie goodness! Might need to whip up a batch for my birthday. Yep gotta bake myself some goodies lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are absolutely stunning! I love that you accommodated someone's allergies - not an easy thing to do when you're baking! I've SO buzzed this one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow so amazing! I love how you toasted the marshmallows too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, these sound great! Great substitutions to make it dairy free!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are perfectly beautiful! Love the marshmallow meringue topping!

    ReplyDelete
  12. nice post .. these looks so perfect chocolate cupcake + meringue = delicious ..yummy !! thanks for sharing ..

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been waiting for this one! ;) Regular s'mores will never be the same. Not only did they look amazing but they tasted even more amazing! :) And the best part was that R was able to eat the same delicious treat (x3 or 4, I lost count...;P) that everyone else was eating. :) You're the best!!! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  14. These look amazing!! Thanks for sharing the recipe ~ homemade marshmallow frosting?!?! YUM! TFS!
    xo
    Heather

    ReplyDelete