Sunday, September 6, 2015

rainbow sprinkle first birthday smash cake


In addition to the Princess Leia cookies that I made for my best friend Sue (who was having a Star Wars themed first birthday party for her daughter Leia), I also made a rainbow sprinkle smash cake for the birthday girl!

Since this would be the first time Leia would be trying cake, we didn't want to go with anything too overpowering, so we decided to go with a vanilla cake, filled with fresh strawberries and whipped cream. So I baked up two 6-inch vanilla cake layers (half of the recipe of the vanilla cake from my boo, The Hello Kitty Baking Book), let the cakes cool, and sliced each one into half horizontally, giving me four cake layers. Then I filled each layer with freshly whipped cream and chopped strawberries (normally I slice the strawberries, but in this case I wanted them in little pieces for baby Leia).



Then I whipped up a batch of cream cheese buttercream, and covered the tops and sides of the cake with it (crumb coat, then chilled for 30 minutes before applying the final coat).


The final touch was adding rainbow sprinkles!


In order to let the number 1 show up in white frosting through the sprinkles, I drew a big "1" on a piece of cardstock, then placed it on the cake before adding the sprinkles.


Here's a picture of the birthday girl enjoying her first cake ever!



Happy Birthday, Leia!!! Hugs and kisses from Auntie Michele! :)




11 comments:

  1. Do you have the cream cheese buttercream recipe?
    renataelbaum@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. just sent you the recipe! enjoy!

      Delete
    2. Hi Michele, I would love to replicate this for my son's first birthday coming up, but I think I will make it smaller since I found some 4" diameter stoneware pans. Do you have any recommendations on baking time for smaller cakes? And may I also have your cream cheese buttercream frosting recipe? :) I saw this on Pinterest and themed the whole party around it. Thank you!

      Delete
    3. @Joanna - i'm sorry i've never baked any cakes in 4-inch cake pans. it sounds pretty close to a cupcake sized cake though so perhaps start with 20 minutes and keep checking every 2 minutes until done? also leave me your email address and i'll send you my frosting recipe! good luck!

      Delete
  2. How did you not get ANY sprinkles on the side of the cake? Did you just frost the top first and then do sprinkles and do the sides last?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha! no i frosted the cake and then added the sprinkles last. i added them by the handful in the middle of the cake, and when i got to the edges i sprinkled them very slowly and carefully (sometimes one at a time). hope that helps!

      Delete
  3. This came looks so pretty. lots of love

    ReplyDelete
  4. A really beautiful elegant cake. And a great child considerate recipe, gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! I tried getting a number 1 to show up on a cake I recently did and it only lifted up the frosting in its place. Can you tell me specifically how you got the 1 to leave an imprint? Did you refrigerate the cake while leaving the cardstock in place before pulling it off once the cake was completely frosted and had sprinkles on it? Sorry, I just love this idea and want to create it the same way for our son's first birthday this week. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Anonymous - i used a paper template for the number and put it on while the frosting was still sticky, added the sprinkles, then put it in the fridge until the frosting got hard, and then i was able to remove the number. also on a later cake i did the same but with a template cut out of waxed paper, and after chilling it was even easier to remove the number. hope that helps!

      Delete