Sunday, August 30, 2015

princess leia cookies for a star wars birthday party


My best friend Sue named her daughter Leia, so of course for Leia's first birthday they had to throw a Star Wars themed party! To go with the theme, I made Princess Leia cookies for the favors. But instead of the heart sprinkle mouth from my previous attempt at Princess Leia cookies, we decided that a cute little smile would be more appropriate for baby Leia :)

Since I was making about 100 cookies, I made four batches of my favorite sugar cookie recipe (which is in my book, The Hello Kitty Baking Book!). I rolled out my dough and used a monkey cookie cutter to cut out shapes, which works perfectly for a Princess Leia shape!


After baking and cooling the cookies, I started on the royal icing (recipe also in my book!). I used brown stiff icing and a small round tip to pipe the outline of Princess Leia's hair, and then filled it in with brown runny icing.



For the face, I used ivory food coloring to tint my icing a flesh tone, and then used the ivory stiff icing to outline the face, and ivory runny icing to fill it in.


Once the cookies had dried for several hours, I used brown stiff icing to pipe the outline of the hair, as well as swirls for Princess Leia's hair buns.


Finally I used black stiff icing to add the eyes and cute little smile.


Aren't they cute? :)


Once the cookies had completely dried, I wrapped them individually in cellophane favor bags, and tied them closed with raffia.



Happy Birthday, little Leia! Hope you had fun at your party!


Stay tuned to see the smash cake that I made her as well!

5 comments:

  1. What a great idea using a monkey cookie cutter, I love these! So simple, yet so clear it's Princess Leia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I replicated your adorable cookies because someone had asked me for cookies exactly like yours. So I went and bought the cutter and got to work! I wish I could show you a picture!Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Dem Cakes Dough - so happy that you made them! you can email me the picture if you'd like! thanks for sharing!

      Delete