Tuesday, February 21, 2012

golf ball cake pops


We recently returned from a three week vacation, visiting my husband's family in Hawaii.  Needless to say, I haven't baked at all in the past month!  Instead, I'll share with you the golf ball cake pops that I made a few months ago, which I never had time to post ... until now!

My friend Cindy has a friend who was interested in having me make cake pop favors for her upcoming wedding, after learning that I had made the cupcake pops at Cindy's wedding.  She specifically wanted the cake pops to look like golf balls, and asked me to make a dozen as samples for her and her family to try.  I immediately ordered these golf ball candy molds, and set out to make golf ball cake pops!


I started by making my favorite homemade chocolate cake recipe.  Once cooled baked, I broke up the cake and pulsed the pieces through the food processor in batches.  Then I made a batch of cream cheese frosting, mixed it into the cake crumbs, and formed the mixture into little balls.  I covered them in plastic wrap, and let them chill in the fridge while I went about preparing the melted white chocolate for the coating.


After melting the white chocolate in a double boiler on the stove, I dipped one end of a lollipop stick in the melted white chocolate, and then inserted that end into a ball of cake.  Then, instead of dipping the cake pop into the melted chocolate like I would normally do, I brushed the inside of the golf ball mold with melted chocolate and then pushed the cake pop into the mold.


After they set in the fridge, I popped each one out of the mold, brushed more melted chocolate into the inside of the mold, and pushed the other side of the cake pop into the mold.  I only had one mold so I could only do one side of the cake pops at a time.


The first few weren't pretty.  The seams were messy where the two halves of the golf balls came together.  And I didn't coat enough melted chocolate on the inside of the mold, so the dark cake showed through the thin coating of white.  I guess I didn't learn my lesson after making white hello kitty cake pops with chocolate cake inside!  Next time I will remember - use a light-color cake when using white chocolate coating!


But after a few batches, they started looking better.  The seams looked smoother.  And the cake didn't show through as much, because I made a mighty thick coating on those golf ball molds!  (Although, this lead to other problems - when eaten, the white chocolate felt way too thick and would crack heavily, leading the cake ball to fall off the stick.)


I'll definitely try making these again someday.  And as they say, practice makes perfect!


*** Update: You can also check out this link to see the golf ball pops made by Jasmin of 1 Fine Cookie, who was the first to come up with the idea of using a candy mold to shape the golf balls!

*** More updates: I used the same candy mold to shape golf balls as cake toppers!  You can find the golf ball cakes here and here!

20 comments:

  1. Oh god this is amazing, look cute! Another new dessert item on you blog, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh!!! My mouth just insanely watered!! I might have to stop following your blog for lent during my dessert hiatus!! :)

    xoxo
    http://preponderance-of-fashion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh these are awesome! I will have to make for my dad... since my maiden name is Putt and he's a golf pro... go figure and NO we didn't change our last name! haha.. but these turned out great!

    Sheri from Blondie's Treats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cake pops? These are awesome, I love them!!

    http://strawberrybox-serenie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely! My relationship with my boss (from where I used to work) evolved to a sisterly-tight friendship. Her birthday is coming up March 15th and she would cry (literally) in joy if I prepare a gift like this for her. She is a golf addict to the truest sense of the word. Thanks for sharing. This will surely make her bday really special.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous job and thanks for sharing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How big around are the cake balls before coating them with the white melts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Anonymous - hmm, i didn't measure them, but this might depend on the size of your candy mold. i made them big/small enough to fit inside the candy mold, while still allowing a bit of space for the melted chocolate. if i were to guess, i'd say 1 to 1/2 inch diameter or so?

      Delete
  8. Hi. Instead of using cream cheese frosting, can Nutella be mixed in with the cake crumbs? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Anonymous - hmm... i've never tried using nutella instead of frosting, but it sounds like it would be delicious! let me know how they turn out!

      Delete
  9. OMG I make cake pops all the time and I've been sitting here wondering, how the heck am I doing to make them look like golf balls!!! I love you! God Bless GOOGLE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Anonymous - hahaha! glad i could help! :)

      Delete
  10. Please can you tell me where did you buy the molds?
    I'm looking for it every where in the Netherlands, no where to find! So now i have to order the mold in the Usa or England...Please can you help me?
    Thnx!

    Elvira Oudemast
    I Luv CakePops

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Elvira Oudemast - i bought it on amazon! http://amzn.to/12aFrhZ

      Delete
    2. I've made these a few times and still have trouble with the seams. Any suggestions - other than just practice, practice, practice - on making the seams less prominent??

      Delete
  11. We want to make these for a graduation party and would like to do some or all of the work ahead of time. Can any of this be done ahead and frozen?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried freezing cake pops, but I wouldn't recommend freezing them. When defrosting I would imagine the cake pops would be really soggy, and the chocolate coating will probably get condensation all over. However you can make them 3-4 days in advance and store them in the refrigerator and they should stay pretty fresh. Hope that helps!

      Delete