Tuesday, March 6, 2012

baby shower duckie and onesie cookies


My friend Cindy has a cousin who asked me to make baby shower goodies a few months ago.  We decided on an 8-inch cake and two dozen cupcakes (blog post to come later), and also duckie and onesie cookies for the favors.  I've made onesie cookies a few times before, but had not made duckie cookies yet.  Luckily, I had recently bought this animal cookie cutter set, which included a duck cookie cutter!


I used my favorite homemade sugar cookie recipe, but you could of course use store bought.  Once they were cut, baked, and cooled, I started on making my royal icing, also from the same book.  I divided the icing into separate air-tight containers so that I could mix in the colors; I would be needing white, blue, yellow, a tiny bit of orange, and an even tinier bit of black.


For the duckies, I started by piping on an outline with stiff yellow icing, leaving an empty space for the beaks, and then filled the ducks in with thinned yellow icing. Then I piped an orange outline for the beaks, and then filled them in with thinned orange icing.


After letting them dry overnight, I piped on another orange outline on top of the beaks, and then another yellow outline over the rest of the ducks.  Then I piped on the outline of the wings, and finally dotted each eye with stiff black icing.


For the onesies, I used this cookie cutter to cut out my shapes. Then once baked and cooled, I first piped an outline with stiff white icing, and then filled it all in with thinned white icing.  Once that dried overnight, I piped on an outline with stuff blue icing, as well as blue details including buttons and a little heart in the center of the onesie.



Once everything was completely dry, I packaged them in individual cellophane bags, tied with raffia and a custom favor tag.  I hope everyone at the baby shower enjoyed them!  Stay tuned for the cake and cupcakes that went along with these cookies!


*** Update: The matching baby shower cake and cupcakes can be found here!

13 comments:

  1. So cute, the little duckies and baby clothes ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are the cutest cookies! I wish I had the patience to make something so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im loving these party ideas- Pinterest has been a pretty good site to reference too!! I think matching my table settings is the first step..starting with pretty glass straws like these! http://bit.ly/simplystraws

    ReplyDelete
  4. Flawless and adorable cookies here. Wish I had your talent for these. I would have to eat some and save a few just to admire. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those duckies are the most ADORABLE things! I'm drooling while I'm reading some of your blogs! :) Talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. how did you get the onesie cookies to keep their shape while baking? mine became "chubby" baby onesies, barely recognizable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Elisa @ Globetrotting in Heels - hmm, i'm not sure? maybe it's the cookie recipe i used? also, after cutting the cookies i like to put them back in the fridge for a few minutes so they are nice and cold when i pop them in the oven - maybe that helps with keeping the shape? try it and let me know if that helps! :)

      Delete
  7. do you sell them? if so how much and how do I order?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Anonymous - yes I do sell them! but curently I am unable to ship cookie orders, so I can only take your order if you are in the SF bay area (california). Thanks for your inquiry!

      Delete
  8. Just made these for my daughter's shower. Not as detailed as your's, but this was my first attempt. I think they came out cute. I wish I could attach a picture. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Anonymous - so glad they came out cute! yes email me a picture! you can click on the "contact me" section on the right! :)

      Delete