Sunday, March 15, 2015

matcha green tea ruffle cake


Just in time for St. Patrick's Day, this green cake would be perfect! (Especially since it kind of resembles a head of cabbage!) But actually, I didn't make this for St. Patrick's Day, I made it for my coworker Kim, who loves anything green tea! For the past few years I've been baking her green tea birthday cakes. Last year's was this green tea rose cake, and she liked it so much that I thought I'd make it for her again this year! But this time instead of piped roses, I decided to do a ruffle cake piped to resemble one large flower!


The green tea cake is a chiffon-style batter, with whipped egg whites to lighten it, and plenty of green tea powder to give a strong green tea flavor.


I baked my batter in two 8-inch cake pans, and once cooled I made a large batch of freshly whipped cream, which I then flavored with a paste made of green tea powder mixed with hot water.



Then I filled my cake layers, and covered the tops and sides of my cake with the whipped cream.


Then came the fun part - piping the ruffles! I used a Wilton #104 petal tip and started my ruffles in the center of the cake, using my turning cake stand to turn the cake while I piped.


Then I just kept piping ...


... and piping, until I had covered the top of the cake with petals. 


At this point, I thought it looked quite pretty, and considered stopping and leaving it as is. I really liked the look of the ruffles on top of the cake with the straight sides.





But then I decided that I needed to keep going with my original plan to pipe ruffles all over the entired cake!



I'm so glad that I did, because the finished the cake came out so pretty! So girly, frilly and ruffly!





Hope you enjoyed the cake, Kim! Happy Birthday!

41 comments:

  1. That matcha green suits the ruffle perfectly! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! So beautiful! Do you by any chance have a tutorial on your blog on how to evenly spread the frosting on your cake? Would be very interested!

    Xx Daniëlle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Paris Pastry - thank you! hmm no tutorial yet on evenly frosting a cake, but i'll keep that in mind! thanks for the feedback! :)

      Delete
  3. beautifull cake!! amazing and delicate work :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank for the sweet comments @נגה גלבוע אדמית ! :)

      Delete
  4. Wow, this looks delicious. Is there a recipe available?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks @Danya Zuniga ! :) sure, leave me your email address and i'll send you the recipe! :)

      Delete
    2. zdanya85@gmail.com Thanks so much!

      Delete
    3. @Danya Zuniga - sure, sending you the recipe now! :)

      Delete
    4. Hi Michele! Would love a recipe too :) Shoot it over to productionplan@hotmail.com please!

      Delete
    5. @Jessica - just sent you the recipe! enjoy!

      Delete
  5. Baking a cake at home is a perfect idea but I do not know much about cooking. So, I am finding cooking tips online, like this really great. Thanks for this healthy and wonderful recipe dear.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This cake looks gorgeous and delicious! Would you happen to have a recipe available by any chance?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Loujing Pan - of course! just leave me your email address and i'll send it your way! :)

      Delete
  7. The cake looks amazing, can you share the recipe with me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Amanda - of course! just send me your email and i'll get it to you! :)

      Delete
  8. From where to buy Matcha powder? I didn't use yet but need to use in my recipe.. Thanks
    energy green powder

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Joseph Dcruz - I have used this one:
      http://amzn.to/1j5QSbc

      as well as this one:
      http://amzn.to/1PTQO8N

      Enjoy! :)

      Delete
  9. I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it.I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post.
    Curry Powder

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, this is so beautiful - would you mind sharing your recipe with me as well? My email address is ieatboba@gmail.com :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi there, this cake is so beautiful! Would you mind sending me the recipe? I love matcha! ymhussain8@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. this is beautiful could you please send me the recipes? thanks a lot. email: thuyduong14111996@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi guys,
    Thank you so much for this wonderful article really!
    If someone want to know more about this Matcha green tea I think this is the right place for you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi - would you mind sharing your recipe? I loooove matcha and this cake looks delicious. Sora_j@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @sora - i just emailed you the recipe, enjoy!

      Delete
  15. Hi!
    Loved this post, the photos was wonderful. I was charmed to meet your blog. It is beautiful, has great tips! I was very happy to meet you.
    Please Visit

    ReplyDelete
  16. Can I also have this recipe? skimberling31@gmail.com

    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  17. The cake looks awesome. Could you please send me the recipe? thank you.
    atm52631@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Michele - would you mind sharing your recipe with me also? Thanks! sora_j@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Can I also have this recipe? okokajm@naver.com

    thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nice Information you have written here. Really Great Stuff. I keep it bookmark for our future purpose. Thanks for the information and links you shared this is so should be a useful and quite informative
    matcha tea uk

    ReplyDelete
  21. so beautiful. would love to have the recipe. connieng73@yahoo.com thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Connie Ng - just emailed you the recipe, enjoy!

      Delete