Sunday, May 28, 2017

monkey baby shower cake



I can't believe that I'm only now writing about this baby shower cake that I made for my friend Cindy my last year, and next week her baby is turning ONE already! How fast time flies!


Since the baby would be born in the Year of the Monkey, she wanted a monkey cake, so a few weeks before the baby shower I started making a little fondant monkey for the topper. To see the steps, you can check out this monkey cake that I made previously, except this time I added a little pink fondant bow!


For the cake itself, I made a 6-inch vanilla cake, filled with freshly whipped cream and fresh sliced strawberries (sorry, forgot to take pictures!) and then frosted it with pink cream cheese buttercream. I usually do a quick crumb coat, then let it chill for 30 minutes in the fridge, and then do a final coat, smoothing it out with an offset spatula.


To finish it off, I piped a white beaded border along the bottom, and the baby's name, Kailie, along the side of the cake.



And then it was time to add the fondant monkey topper!



I added a little buttercream to the bottom of the monkey topper, just to secure it in place.


Hope you enjoyed your baby shower, Cindy!

1 comment:

  1. Gorgeous cake as always. I loved the cake and so did The rest of the family. So moist and delicious. We still have the monkey topper :) Thank you for always making the most beautiful and yummy cakes for us.

    ReplyDelete