Monday, April 11, 2011

mint-oreo ice cream


My husband's family was in town from Hawaii visiting recently, and his nephew Coby LOVES mint chip ice cream.  So I decided to make it for him with a twist - I made it with crushed oreos instead.


The ice cream base is made with milk, heavy cream, egg yolks, sugar, and peppermint extract.  We also added a tiny bit of green food coloring, but you can add more if you'd like a brighter green color.  The crushed oreos were added during the last 5 minutes of churning.

I think I added a teeny bit too much mint though, so I called it "extra minty mint-oreo ice cream" when I served it.  But overall, it was a great combination!  It reminded me of eating Thin Mint Girl Scout cookies.  I'll definitely be making this again, but with less of the mint :)


***
Update: I also made mint thinmint ice cream with Thin Mint cookies instead of Oreo cookies, and it is really delicious as well!  Try it for even more mint flavor in the ice cream!

2 comments:

  1. Hello! I'm your newest follower - I found your blog through Helpful Daddy's blog - your creations look scrumptious!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @miranda - thank you! and thanks for following! :)

    ReplyDelete