Wednesday, May 18, 2011

tiramisu ice cream


My friend Hsing recently made tiramisu ice cream, and when I tasted it I knew that I wanted to make it too!  Not long after that, I had the perfect opportunity - my cousin Angie was coming to visit and I know that she loves boozy desserts, so I decided to make it for her.


The source was, once again, David Lebovitz's book "The Perfect Scoop".  The ice cream base included Kahlua and rum, as well as mascarpone cream to create a creamy richness.  I also made a mocha ripple (made by simmering espresso, cocoa powder, vanilla, sugar, and corn syrup), which was layered into the ice cream after it was done churning.


The resulting combination of flavors was delicious!  Although I would have loved more coffee flavor, so next time I'll try adding some espresso to the ice cream base as well.


7 comments:

  1. I appreciate anybody named Angie who loves "boozy desserts" so I hope your cousin loved the treat. David Lebovitz has the most awesome ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Lizzy - yes, make it soon! you'll love it :)

    @Angela@RecipesFromMyMom - haha, i'm assuming you love boozy desserts to then :) i think she liked it, i made three desserts that night and she said she liked the tiramisu ice cream the best. and i told her that's because it's boozy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a FANTASTIC idea! This looks creamy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks super delicious Michele! Made me want to try again with mocha ripple =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I ♥ this ice cream. I love tiramisu so it has to be great as an ice cream.

    ReplyDelete