Tuesday, July 10, 2012

hello kitty strawberry rhubarb tart


After making the strawberry rhubarb mini tarts in a recent post, I decided to make one large strawberry rhubarb tart, with a twist - I wanted to use the extra pie crust dough to decorate the top of the tart with Hello Kitty!

So I made an all-butter pie crust, rolled it out, and carefully lined a 9-inch tart pan with the dough.  Then I rolled my rolling pin over the top of the tart pan to cut off the excess dough, and wrapped the extra dough in plastic wrap and put in the fridge for later.


For the filling, I again chopped rhubarb and strawberries into same-size pieces, then tossed them with sugar, flour, and a pinch of salt.


Then I filled my prepared tart pan with the strawberry rhubarb mixture, using a spatula to push the mixture out to the sides of the pan.


Next, I took my extra pie crust dough out of the fridge, rolled it out, and cut out a few Hello Kitty shapes with a cookie cutter.  Aren't they cute? :)


I only had enough extra dough for four Hello Kitty shapes, which I arranged on top of the tart.


Finally I used egg wash to brush on top of the Hello Kitty shapes and exposed pie crust, and then sprinkled on some sanding sugar.  Then I popped it in the oven and let it bake for almost an hour.  Once it was done and the crust was golden brown, I took it out and resisted the urge to cut into it right away, otherwise all the beautiful juices would flow out!  So I let it cool before cutting into it.



And there you have it.  Flaky crust, tart rhubarb, and juicy sweet strawberries, and all topped with Hello Kitty!  A perfect combination if you ask me!


*** Update:
You can now find my recipe for Hello Kitty Strawberry Rhubarb Tart in my new book, "The Hello Kitty Baking Book"! Enjoy!

8 comments:

  1. These are adorable on top of looking delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just recently made a strawberry rhubarb pie myself (SO delicious) but this one is WAY cuter then mine lol, love the hello kitty! :)

    SL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Sarah-Lyn - haha, thank you! isn't strawberry rhubarb the BEST? :)

      Delete
  3. Wow this is beyond creative. I love this blog!

    www.eatblogpray.blogspot.com
    xo

    ReplyDelete