Monday, July 30, 2012

monogram wedding cookies


My cousin Yvonne got married to her longtime fiance Marvin a few weeks ago (YAY!), and I offered to help out my making wedding cookie favors!  Her wedding color was robin's egg blue, so I made blue and white "Y" and "M" monogram cookies, representing their initials.


As always, I used my favorite homemade sugar cookie and royal icing recipes, but you could of course use store bought..  Since I was making 200 cookies, I ended up making 8 batches of the sugar cookie recipe!  After letting the dough chill in the fridge, I rolled it out and used these Alphabet cookie cutters to cut our my letters.


When all of the cookies were baked (it was late at night by now), I stored them in airtight containers to keep them fresh overnight.  Then the next day I started on my icing.  I made two batches of royal icing, and colored half of it robin's egg blue (I used a combination of Americolor sky blue and teeny bit of lemon yellow), trying as best as I could to match it to the colors on the invitation.  I decided to make the "Y" cookies blue, and the "M" cookies white - by first piping a stiff icing outline around each letter, and then filling it with runny icing.


After the icing had dried (I let it dry overnight), I piped a dotted border around each cookie to finish it off.


Two hundred cookies later, I was done!



Finally, I wrapped the cookies in cellophane bags (one "Y" cookie and one "M" cookie in each bag), and tied them with custom favor tags and raffia.


The wedding turned out beautiful!  The ceremony was lovely, the food was deelish (lobster, filet mignon, cuban rice, and fried plantains!), and the Matthew and Melodie had so much fun dancing all night long.




Congratulations Yvonne and Marvin!  We love you!

12 comments:

  1. The wedding looks beautiful and you made the perfect cookies to go with the theme. I love all the detail you put into the finishing of the cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. they are sooooo pretty ! Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute! Love the colours.

    http://whatsarahbaked.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a clean, pretty design! I love the blue color!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Janine (sugarkissed.net) - thank you for the sweet comments! :)

      Delete
  5. These cookies are simple yet beautiful, good job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michele, 200 cookies! And every single one of them looks so perfect! You have a special talent!! I loved seeing your children dancing. They are so adorable! Your momogram cookies are so cute. I won't be able to eat them, but I know your cookies would taste delicious! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Nami - haha, yes 200, i couldn't believe i got them all done in time either! thanks for such sweet comments, and i'm glad you enjoyed the pictures of the kids dancing. they were hilarious that night :)

      Delete