Tuesday, January 8, 2013

holiday birthday ice cream cake


My husband's parents were visiting from Hawaii recently, during which we celebrated my father-in-law's December birthday.  I knew that on previous visits, he had liked my homemade coffee oreo ice cream, so I decided to make him an ice cream cake!

For the bottom layer I made a 6-inch chocolate cake using my favorite recipe.  Then for the ice cream layer, I made my coffee oreo ice cream, and froze it in a 6-inch cake pan.  Once the ice cream was frozen, I assembled my cake.


To decorate the cake, I wanted to avoid using buttercream, as I wanted something light and not too sweet, so I chose to cover the cake with freshly whipped cream.  As I have found with past ice cream cakes (see my links for Elmo ice cream cake and Hello Kitty ice cream cakes), covering an ice cream cake with any frosting has it's challenges, and requires putting the cake back in the freezer every few minutes to avoid the melting of the ice cream layer.  But I was eventually able to cover the cake with two coats of whipped cream, and then I finished it off with a simple shell border.


I wasn't planning on making anything fancy, but I still wanted the cake to be festive, so I sprinkled edible red, green, and white confetti all over the cake.  The final touch was a quick birthday message.  And of course, birthday candles!


Then we sang "Happy Birthday", and the kids helped Grandpa blow out the candles.



Hope you had a happy birthday, Dad!  We're glad we got to spend it with you this year!




11 comments:

  1. I'm sure that your father-in-law loved this cake. I've never done an ice cream cake, but I just might have to put it on my cake decorating goal list for the year. You did a great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Chineka - thank you! can't wait to see how yours turns out! :)

      Delete
  2. your coffee oreo ice cream is the best! and to have it as part of a cake, even better! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @whathelenworetoday.com - aw, thanks helen! :)

      Delete
  3. What a lovely idea for a cake! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is stunning and looks just like the ones my kids always wanted from Baskin Robbins but with a lot more ice cream! You frosted it so perfectly and your pictures are wonderful. I can't believe you made the ice cream too - you are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yummy yummy in my tummy, what a great idea for a cake i will be sure to try this... thanks for sharing!!



    driveway paving brentwwod

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice!! How did you get your whipped cream icing so smooth? Mine always tends to start watering out!! Do you add anything to the whipped cream to make it hold its shape?

    ReplyDelete