Thursday, May 2, 2013

dark cherry ice cream


Near the end of my pregnancy with my third baby, I started making a lot of ice cream.  Like, a lot.  Particularly, various flavors of ice cream with chopped Oreos.  And then my cousin suggested that I make black cherry ice cream.  I instantly set about to find the perfect recipe, and finally decided on David Lebovitz's recipe from The Perfect Scoop (what a surprise!).

The first step was to make candied cherries by simmering cherries, sugar, lemon juice, and water together.  They cooked for about 30 minutes until the cherry liquid reduced and became syrupy.


For the ice cream base, the recipe called for making a custard with egg yolks, sugar, heavy cream and milk that had been steeped with chopped almonds to give an almond flavor in the custard.  But since my 3-year old is allergic to nuts, I skipped that step and instead used imitation almond extract.  Then after chilling the mixture overnight, I churned it in my ice cream maker, and added the strained and chopped candied cherries during the last few minutes of churning.


Let me just say that once I tasted this ice cream, I instantly fell in love with it.  And so did my husband.  I must have made it at least 5 times during my last month of pregnancy!  This is definitely at the top of my list of favorite ice cream recipes!


7 comments:

  1. Hi Michele!

    I'm Joyce from Ntv7 The Breakfast Show. I sent you an email message regarding conducting a video shoot with your little ones really soon (in conjunction with Mother's Day). Hopefully you're able to check my message very soon!

    Thank you and have a wonderful day!

    P/S: Beautiful blog you have here :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Joyce Wong - thank you! i just responded to your email. thanks for contacting me! :)

      Delete
  2. I find ice cream intimidating, but you make it look so easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks @Heather! it can be intimidating the first time you make it, but after the first few times it's a breeze! :)

      Delete
  3. Your photos are stunning and your recipes sound delectable. We would love for you to share them at thefeastingeye.com. The Feasting Eye is still a bit new, but I think you will like what you see :-).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Zach - thank you! i will definitely check it out!

      Delete
  4. recipe please! :)

    ReplyDelete