Saturday, February 7, 2015

tokidoki unicorn funfetti cake


My daughter's 5th birthday was back in mid-December, and since she is currently obsessed with unicorns, I decided to make her a unicorn cake! I had recently become enamored tokidoki while giving a cookie workshop at Hello Kitty Con in October, so I decided to make a tokidoki unicorn cake!


For the cake itself, I decided I had to make it a funfetti cake of course, since my girl loves sprinkles and anything with rainbow colors.


I baked up two 8-inch cakes, and sliced them in half horizontally to give me 4 cake layers.


Then I filled them with freshly whipped cream and fresh strawberries.



To cover the cake, I whipped up a big batch of cream cheese buttercream, tinted the majority of it pink and covered the top and sides of the cake with it. For the sides, I used a star tip to pipe on a swirly ruffle design (similar to this cake and this one, done in Nikole Herriott's signature piping style).


Next I made a paper template of the tokidoki unicorn, placed it on top of the cake, and used a toothpick to draw the outline. Then I used the toothpick to draw on the details freehand, and piped the outlines and details with black frosting and a small round tip.



Finally I filled in the details of the unicorn with a small star tip, and filled in the eyes, hooves, and stars with a small round tip.


And then it was done!


It turned out so cute! I couldn't wait for my little girl to see it!


Here she is at her party, with her best friends from school.


And here's a shot of the inside of the cake!


Happy Birthday, my Melodie! I love you!



8 comments:

  1. why oh why that I always fail on cream cheese buttercream frosting! :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is seriously ADORABLE! I love tokidoki... especially Unicorno! Great job! I want it for my birthday...and I'm way older than 5 years old. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Marisela - thank you! haha and i still love unicorns too :)

      Delete
  3. One of my favorite cakes! Happy belated birthday M!

    ReplyDelete
  4. delicious cake looks like a embroidery design... linux hosting in erode

    ReplyDelete