Sunday, April 19, 2015

pink velvet ruffle cake with strawberries and whipped cream



As soon as I had finished making this frilly green tea ruffle cake, I already knew that I was going to make it in pink. And soon. In fact I made it exactly two weeks later, for my mother-in-law's birthday, as she was in town visiting us from Hawaii. She loves all things pink. And since she loves red velvet cake (thus this red velvet cheesecake rose cake that I made for her a few years ago, which happens to be THE most popular post on my blog), I decided to try making this pink velvet cake that I saw on I Am Baker's site a few weeks before!


With her recipe, I made four 6-inch cake layers (but decided to only use three of the layers). I filled each layer with pink whipped cream and fresh strawberries, and then covered the top and sides of the cake as well.


And then came the fun part, piping the ruffles! As with the green tea ruffle cake, I started from the middle, and kept going until the top of the cake was covered with a huge swirl of ruffles.



Then I continued with the ruffles along the sides of the cake, from top to bottom.


Boy, do I love the frilly look of this cake.


Here's a shot of the inside of the cake, with the sliced strawberries peeking out. Unfortunately, I wasn't so pleased with this part of the cake. I'm not sure what I did wrong, but my pink velvet cake layers turned out rather dense and heavy. Not the light and fluffy cake that I was going for, although the flavors of the cake combined with whipped cream and strawberries was still a great combo.


Happy Birthday to my mother-in-law!

12 comments:

  1. This looks utterly lovely, PERFECT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww you're so sweet @Kathy W. ,thank you! :)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loves this Cake! It's beyond gorgeous! Is planning on making this for my Mother's Birthday this year and only had one question: how did you get the whip cream to hold up like this? Is assuming that you've used stabilized whip cream but knows of course that I could be wrong. Great baking, is in constant awe over your cake's!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much! yes i did stabilize my whipped cream with a bit of gelatin. happy early birthday to your mother! :)

      Delete
  4. Lovely cake ... just one question ... what is the proportion of gelatin to whipped cream to stabilise it to achieve this.

    ReplyDelete