Sunday, June 25, 2017

red white and blue star pie for july fourth


Last year for Fourth of July, my youngest son Micah made this adorable art project at preschool. It was so simple, just a white paper plate with blue and red stars pasted on it, but I just loved his arrangement of the stars and it inspired me to make a pie that looked just like it!






I started by making my all-butter pie crust (recipe in my book, The Hello Kitty Baking Book), which I divided in half, shaped into discs, wrapped in plastic wrap and let chill in the fridge. After about 30 minutes, I rolled out my first disk (to about 1/8 inch thick) and fitted it into my pie plate. Then I mixed my filling (frozen mixed berries, sugar, flour, and salt) and added it on top of the bottom crust.



With the second disk of pie dough, I also rolled it out to 1/8 inch thick, but this time used various sized star cookie cutters to cut out shapes, which I then arranged on the top of the pie (I actually tried to match Micah's placement of stars for this!)




Then I brushed it with egg wash, sprinkled on some sanding sugar, and baked it at 425F for 15 minutes, after which I turned it down to 350F and baked it for another 45-50 minutes.


I baked the pie in the afternoon before dinner, and by the time we were done with dinner the pie had cooled enough to be sliced. Even then the filling was a bit too loose, so next time I'd probably add a little more flour to the filling. (Although I can't remember how much flour I used, so next time I'll probably have to actually follow a recipe!)


Here are my three loves all decked out in their Fourth of July clothes (purchased by Grandma!)


And here they are with Grandma and Grandpa, who were visiting us all the way from Hawaii.


On a side note, we also had red white and blue toast for breakfast! Cream cheese toasts (I also tried using fresh ricotta, but we all preferred the cream cheese), decorated with raspberry jam, blueberries, and sliced bananas. Delicious!


Happy Fourth of July!

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, July 4th deserves a big and tasty celebration. The pie is looking hot and yummy. But why did not you tried using colored stars in red and blue?

    ReplyDelete