Tuesday, September 6, 2011

triple chocolate mousse cake with raspberries


I've made America's Test Kitchen's triple chocolate mousse cake various ways now - as individual cakes, a full sized cake, and one layered with strawberries - and it always turns out great.  In July I made one again, this time for a goodbye lunch for a coworker who was leaving the company, and I simply decorated it with fresh raspberries.


Again I used my favorite homemade chocolate cake recipe for the bottom layer.  When it came time to make the chocolate mousse layer, I was somewhat distracted with the kids, and hastily read the recipe's measurement for salt as 1 teaspoon.  It didn't register in my mind that it was a lot salt!  But I whipped up the mousse, added it on top of the chocolate cake layer in my springform pan, and place it in the fridge for it to set.  Then I went to clean up and start on the next layer.  Before I threw the spatula I had used into the sink, I licked it off (can't let chocolate mousse go to waste!), and then realized that the mousse was REALLY salty!  I rushed to check the recipe again, and it was actually 1/8 teaspoon of salt that I should have added!  DOH!


I ended up waiting for the much-too-salty mousse layer to set in the fridge so that I could slice the layer off easily, and then dumped it in the trash. :( What a waste of good dark chocolate!  Then I proceeded to make another chocolate mousse layer, this time with the correct measurement of salt!


After adding the third layer of white chocolate mousse, I let that set in the fridge, and then decorated the perimeter of the cake with fresh raspberries.  To finish it off, I piped a "best wishes" message in melted chocolate.


The raspberries went really well with the cake, and the tartness of the fruit cut the richness of the dessert perfectly.  I hope everyone enjoyed it at the lunch!  Good luck and best wishes to Clayton, with whom I've worked with for over 10 years!


17 comments:

  1. so sad to waste chocolate mousse!!!! but the cake loke great, and im sure it taste great too, with the right amount of salt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a gorgeous cake! And such neat piping for the letters. Amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great rescue job! You could never have told that you had that complication, it looks just perfect and i bet tastes extraordinary :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's one fine and elegant all time favorite mousse cake of us in the family. I'm surely gonna add it to my mousse recipe archive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous! Only thing better than chocolate mousse is TRIPLE chocolate mousse!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, look at your perfect penmanship to match such a tres chic dessert, beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WoW! looks very tempting.. that makes me drool.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello,
    Can i ask you to repost the whole recipe for the cake because i can not register on that site where is located the original recipe? I am from outside USA and that is the reason. If u can send it to me by e-mail it would be perfect. My email is dos@gbg.bg Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Anonymous - i just sent you an email! enjoy!

      Delete
  9. Hi, like Anonymous I too can't register to get the recipe as I live outside USA. Would appreciate if you could send me the triple chocolate mousse cake recipe to my email. My eMail is judywyl@gmail.com. Thank you so much in advance. Judy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello! I also can't register to get the recipe and I would love to make this cake! I would apreciate if you could send me the recipe for this recipe, the triple chocolate mousse cake! My email is nynaely@hotmail.com Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi can u email me the recipe for the choc mousse pls at shaikeenmaricar@gmail.com.I can't enter the said website.:(.Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @shaikeenmaricar - just sent you the recipe! enjoy!

      Delete