Thursday, July 7, 2011

father's day - triple chocolate mousse cake with strawberries


For Father's Day this year, I wanted to make something with chocolate and strawberries.  So I decided on making triple chocolate mousse cake once more, but this time with strawberries.


I planned on baking a 6-inch cake, so I baked the bottom layer (chocolate cake) in a 6-inch removable-bottom cake pan.  But I had forgotten that cakes tend to shrink a bit after being baked!  Since there were gaps on the sides between the cake and the cake pan, I knew I wouldn't be able to pour the mousse layers directly on top, so I created a 5.5-inch cuff using parchment paper and a cardboard bakery box.


Once I had my homemade cake ring, I lined the edge of the ring with halved strawberries, with the cut-side facing out.  Then I filled it with the middle layer of white chocolate mousse.


After letting the two layers set in the fridge for about half an hour, I proceeded to make and fill my top layer of bittersweet chocolate mousse.  Then I let the whole cake set in the fridge for the rest of the afternoon, and then decorated the top with more halved strawberries.  And I left the leaves on to add a splash of green to the cake.


I thought the end result was beautiful, but my husband commented on how funny it was that I was making a Father's Day cake that looked so girly!  Ooops!


The cake ended up tasting great, although the bottom layer became kind of soggy from the halved strawberries.  Next time I'll try adding a thin layer of mousse before adding the strawberries, and hopefully that will protect the cake layer from getting too wet.


Happy Father's Day honey!  Next time I promise the cake won't be so girly!  Or soggy!


29 comments:

  1. Woe, this is one stunning dessert! I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous gorgeous! Feminine looking or not, I'm sure your dad appreciated all your effort and the fabulous taste -- I know I would!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's amazing...!!! I always find this kind of recipes very hard to make, but some day I have to try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, I bet he loved it! White chocolate mousse sounds great right now :3

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks beautiful and I'm sure that your dad will appreciate some girliness once in a while ;p

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi again Michele! Thanks for your comment on my gazpacho post, but I was curious about it because I don't see it in Top 9. I'm curious where you saw it and if perhaps Top 9 updates earlier where you are than where I am? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets - oh haha, sometimes i like to sneak a peak at whats coming up for the next day, sometimes they'll have them up by late afternoon/evening. i just use a url like this, and change the date to be tomorrow:
    http://www.foodbuzz.com/top9?date=2011-07-08
    congrats again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful and delicious looking cake. Scrumptious for any occasion!

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks for all the wonderful comments everyone! :) the cake was actually for my hubby though, to thank him for being such a good daddy to our two kids :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it ! And it looks deliciouus ! Mmmh ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. i would love to make this. Can I have the recipe please? my email is erin.oregan8@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ErinElizabeth - just sent you an email with the recipe! enjoy!

      Delete
  12. Hi there~ This is simply lovely for the upcoming Mother's Day, and I would like to make this too. May I have the recipe as well? This is my email: z.ning23@gmail.com Please and thank youuu !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Zi Ning - just sent you the recipe! you're welcome !:)

      Delete
  13. I would love to make this cake, hope you can also share your recipe. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Cake delivery Philippines - no problem, just send me your email address! :)

      Delete
  14. I just came across this and it looks amazing! I was hoping to make it for Mother's Day and was wondering if you still had the recipe? I'd really appreciate it! My email's kailalbert@yahoo.com

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Unknown - i just emailed you the recipe, enjoy!

      Delete
  15. can i get the recipe to pizzom2525@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks amazing Michele, I can’t wait to try it. Do you think it half could be frozen to save for later?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! i think you could try freezing it for later, however i haven't tried doing that and i'm not sure if it would change the texture of the mousse. but i have frozen the cake portion before and it was good! let me know how it turns out!

      Delete
  17. Hello - this cakes looks absolutely delicious. Can you please email me the recipe at 082267.ls@gmail.com? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. Big thanks for the useful info. http://breadgarden31.tumblr.com/

    ReplyDelete