Sunday, July 17, 2011

flower sugar cookies with royal icing


I recently reconnected with my friend Vicky from high school, and with her daughter's first birthday party coming up I offered to make cookies for the favors.  Since she had planned a flower theme for the party, we decided that I would make flower cookies in her color scheme of light-aqua and yellow.


I used my favorite sugar cookie recipe, and a Wilton cookie cutter to cut out the shapes.  Then I whipped up some royal icing (recipe from the same book), and decorated half of the cookies with white icing and the other half with a light-aqua icing, with yellow centers for both.


I like to decorate my cookies by first piping an outline with stiff icing, then filling it in with runny icing of the same color.  Once that dries for a few hours, then I like to pipe another border on top, and then pipe on any extra decorations (in this case, the yellow centers and the white accents).


After letting the icing dry overnight, I placed two cookies in each cellophane favor bag, and tied them with raffia and custom tags that I had printed out on card stock (similar to the baby shower cookies that I made back in January).


The party was held at a park, and everything was beautiful!  It was a perfect warm sunny day, and Vicky had decorated the trees with adorable aqua and yellow tissue pom-poms.  She had yellow flower plates and napkins on aqua tablecloths, and even a station where kids could decorate little terra cotta pots and plant yellow flowers.




We had a great time, even though we had to leave early and missed the cake cutting!  Thanks for inviting us Vicky!  Hope everyone enjoyed the cookies!


13 comments:

  1. The cookies look so pretty no surprises everything you make always looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute cute cute! You're such a treat-decorating maven. Love the pom-poms, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so perfect, nice display of your talent here. I am sure all the kids enjoyed these lovely treats.

    ReplyDelete
  4. your cookies look so good! and i love how they coordinate with the rest of the party... i want a party like that! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are so cute!! Perfect little cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful cookies! Absolutely gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh these really are perfection :) so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cute! I especially like the aqua ones :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do you know where the straws were purchased? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Emily - i don't know where these ones were purchased, but there are similar ones on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004K8N18Q/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=iheartbaking-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B004K8N18Q

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was wondering, i have my daughters 1st birthday this august and wanted to know, what is the earliest time i can start on making cookies?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @kathleen bocalbos - i usually start on them 2-3 days before the party, but you can make them a week in advance and they will still be fresh if they are individually wrapped in cellophane bags. good luck! :)

      Delete