Thursday, November 1, 2012

spiderman cupcakes


For my son Matthew's 5th birthday, I made Spiderman cookies and a Spiderman cake for his birthday party, but I also decided to make Spiderman cupcakes for his Kindergarten class to celebrate with him!  But instead of making a topper out of royal icing like I did for last year's Superman cupcakes, I wanted to pipe Spidey's face directly on top of the cupcake, like how I do for my Hello Kitty cupcakes.

For the cupcake batter, I wanted to try this recipe I recently saw from Sweetapolita (love her!) for whipped vanilla dream cupcakes - they sounded delicious, and since it was adapted from the same Dorie Greenspan recipe that I used for the Spiderman birthday cake, I thought it would be a perfect experiment to see which recipe I liked better!  The main highlight in Sweetapolita's cupcakes was to fold in whipped cream at the end, to give it a light yet moist texture.


After filling my lined cupcake tins 3/4 full and baking them up, they came out of the oven looking airy and light, and really fluffy!


But then after they came to room temperature, they started deflating and sinking in the middle. :( Maybe I didn't let them bake long enough?  However when I tasted one, it still tasted great, was very moist, and had a fine crumb.  So I decided to use them anyway, and used a Wilton 1M tip to pipe big swirls of blue tinted cream cheese frosting.


Then it was time for the fun part - piping Spiderman's face!  So I started by piping an oval blob of red frosting, and then used a small point tip to pipe on the eyes in white frosting.


Next I used black frosting to outline the eyes.


And finally I used black frosting to pipe the web on Spiderman's face. 


I loved the end result, and I loved even more that it was all made with frosting!


And even though the cupcakes had deflated from their initial fluffy glory, I still loved the taste and texture of the cake.



And even more important, Matthew and his classmates loved the cupcakes!  Happy Birthday Matthew!!!



10 comments:

  1. Turquoise and red! Ahh, the two colors always remind me of my favorite Le Creuset pairings.

    Anyway, Matthew is just so cute! His bday cupcakes are adorable too! Thanks for sharing!

    A Preponderance of Fashion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Fashion Blawger - thank you! i do love turquoise and red as well!

      Delete
  2. Wow - I just love your cakes! Always so perfectly decorated. Lots of lovely ideas and great inspiration - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those cupcakes are incredible! I love that it's all delicious frosting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what tip did you use to make the oval and how did it stay like that before you could add the eyes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @mk - i actually didn't use a tip, i just had the coupler fitted in the piping bag. one like this:
      http://amzn.to/16vC6jB
      or you could use a round wide tip like this:
      http://amzn.to/13VexLP
      good luck! :)

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete