Tuesday, November 6, 2012

baked pumpkin donuts


Last year for Halloween, I made fun jack-o-lantern cookies, based on jack-o-lanterns that we had actually carved at our house.  And the year before, I made jack-o-lantern cupcakes with a spiderweb frosting.  But this year, I didn't have time to make anything elaborate!  I was, however, able to whip up a quick batch of baked pumpkin donuts on Halloween Day!


I've been meaning to use these donut pans that my friend Reggie gave me for Christmas a while back, but never had a chance until now!  For the donut batter, I found a great recipe at Kirbie's Cravings, and they were a breeze to make!  You basically just combine all the wet ingredients, and then add the dry ingredients, and then you're done!  


After filling the donut pans 3/4 full, I baked them for 15 minutes and they were done.


After they cooled for a bit, they went for a quick dip in a cinnamon and sugar mixture.


And then, they were ready to be eaten!  


They turned out really moist and flavorful, had great texture, and were full of pumpkin flavor.


I shared a few with my neighbor Cindy, and I just love the picture that she posted on Instagram!


I had enough batter to make some mini donut as well, using this pan (also from Reggie - thanks Reggie!)


One thing to note is that these donuts are best eaten the day they are made.  I ate some the next day and they were quite soggy.  But it wasn't anything that a quick dip in cinnamon sugar couldn't fix! :) Perhaps next time I'll store them unadorned and then dip them in cinnamon sugar until right before serving.


One last note, I also used the same batter to test out baking them in muffin tins, topped with a brown sugar and cinnamon crust before baking, and these still tasted great the next day!  

Enjoy!


8 comments:

  1. I don't have a doughnut pan, but I've done the mini muffin tin version and they're beyond delicious. I've subbed apple and pear butter for the pumpkin as well and they're amazing too. Your makin' me want some now!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Mindy - mmmm apple and pear doughnuts sound delicious as well! thanks for the comments! :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the link! Your doughnuts came out so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh Great. I liked.

    Thanks

    Murat

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh wow, cinnamon and sugar with doughnuts! My favourites!

    ReplyDelete