Friday, December 30, 2011

christmas wreath triple chocolate mousse cake


Every Christmas we drive down to LA to spend Christmas Eve with my mom's side of the family, and this year I wanted to make a cake to mimic my Christmas wreath cupcakes from Martha's "Cupcakes" book, which I had made earlier in the week.  So I decided to make the triple chocolate mousse cake from America's Test Kitchen once again, since I've made it several times and it hasn't let me down yet!


For the bottom layer I made my favorite homemade chocolate cake recipe (instead of the flourless chocolate cake in the ATK recipe), but I followed the recipe exactly for the chocolate mousse (middle layer) and the white chocolate mousse (top layer).


From start to finish this cake takes a while to complete, because you have to bake the cake and then wait for it to cool for an hour or so.  Then you prepare the chocolate mousse layer, add it on top of the chocolate cake layer, and then let that set in the fridge for another hour or so.  Then comes the final layer, the white chocolate mousse, and once added to the top of the cake it also needs to set for another 2-3 hours.


After all the layers had set in the fridge for a few hours, I piped my wreath design in the middle of the cake with a leaf tip and cream cheese frosting colored green.  Then I sprinkled on holly and berry sprinkles (I used only the berries) that I found at Target (or you could use red sugar pearls like Martha suggests).


I unmolded the cake right before our drive down to LA, but I think I hadn't let it set long enough.  The sides were craggy and jagged, and not smooth like how I wanted it to be.  But I had no choice, it was time to go!  I hope everyone enjoyed it anyway!



9 comments:

  1. The piping work on that wreath is fantastic! Also, I love how you've kept the sides of the cake bare, so you can see all the lovely layers. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful cake... Love the wreath!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I'm speechless! This looks absolutely heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! I wish I had that for the holidays xD

    ~ Kieli ~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your cake takes my breath away. I love that layered look and the wreath on top adds the perfect touch. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog till Monday night and I'd love it if you'd come by and link your cake up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/12/sweets-for-saturday-50.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for the great comments everyone! hope everyone had a wonderful new years!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Lisa - thank you! i've just linked my cake on your site!

    ReplyDelete