Monday, January 5, 2015

3D cookie christmas tree


Wow! Christmas and New Years flew by in the blink of an eye! Hopefully it's not too late to share this cute little tree that I made for our celebration Christmas Eve!

A long time ago I had seen this Christmas tree cutter set in a magazine somewhere, and I thought it was the cutest thing! So when Christmas rolled around this year, I thought I would make my own cookie tree, using this star cutter set that I already owned.


Even though there were only 4 different sized star cutters in this set, I figured I could achieve the same effect by cutting out several of each size.


Note that I cut out less of the bigger stars, and more of the medium and smaller stars.


Once my cookies were baked and cooled, I whipped up a half batch of buttercream frosting (recipe in my new book!), and tinted it leaf green. Then I placed a small blob on the bottom of my largest cookie, to attach it to a 6-inch cake board.


Next I fitted a pastry bag with a Wilton #352 leaf tip, filled it with my green icing, and piped little leaves around the perimeter of the star before filling it in completely with leaves. (See my Christmas wreath cookies for the same technique!)



Then I placed my next cookie on top, and again piped leaves around the perimeter of the star, after which I filled in the cookie with leaves. Around this time I also started to sprinkle on little white nonpareils after finishing with each cookie, to give the effect of snow on the leaves.



I continued with all of the star cookies, from the largest cookies on the bottom, to the smallest cookies on the top.


I finished it off with a small yellow star sprinkle on the top of the tree (taken from this set of star sprinkles), and more white nonpareils all over.


And there you have it, a cute little 3D Christmas tree made out of cookies! It made for the perfect little centerpiece and dessert all in one!


2 comments:

  1. This looks so fab! I really wanted to do one of these this year but didn't find the time - next year for sure! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks @Ala Skrakowski ! :) yes next year for sure, can't wait to see it!

      Delete