Tuesday, January 13, 2015

christmas wreath shingled apple pie


One of my favorite Christmas decorations is a beautiful Christmas wreath. Just the sight of wreaths hanging on all the doors in the neighborhood gives such a warm and welcoming feeling. In the past I've made Christmas wreath cupcakes, Christmas wreath mousse cake, and Christmas wreath cookies, so why not make a Christmas wreath apple pie?


Last year I made this Christmas tree apple pie, so this time I did the same thing except with little circle pie crust cutouts instead of Christmas tree shapes. It starts with a homemade all-butter pie crust, filled with sliced apples that are tossed with sugar, flour, cinnamon, ground cloves, and a pinch of salt. (You can actually find the entire pie recipe in my new book, The Hello Kitty Baking book - just look for the page on making Hello Kitty Apple Pie!)


With half of my pie crust dough, I rolled it out and fitted it into the bottom of my pie pan. Then I filled it with my spiced apple filling, before rolling out the second half of my pie crust and cutting out little scalloped circle shapes with a small cookie cutter. Then I neatly arranged a row of circle cutouts along the perimeter of my pie...


... followed by a second row of cutouts...


... and finally a third row to complete my wreath. Be sure to leave a little hole in the middle of the wreath to let the steam escape from the pie!



I baked the pie at 425F for 15 minutes, then lowered the heat to 350F for another 45-50 minutes (and by then the entire house smelled like delicious apple pie!)


The pie turned out perfect - the crust was tender yet flakey and crispy, and the apples were perfectly cooked with just the right amount of sugar and spice!


While the pie didn't resemble a Christmas wreath as much as I had hoped it would, I thought it was still super cute, and could actually be made for any occasion. I'll definitely be making this again, maybe next time I'll just called it "scalloped apple pie"! :)



5 comments:

  1. What a beautiful apple pie! Loving your wreath detailing..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! your creations are fantastic! I am daphne and am residing in the US, been really looking for the recipe of a cheap pineapple pie that is just probably made with cornstarch and pineapple syrup with light crust and top. It is usually seen in small bakeries and get along the sides of the red pie (aka pie made out of day old bread with red food coloring!)! Thanks so much!!

    pls email me if you have something in mind! daphne.abellon@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @daphne - hmm i've never heard of pineapple pie! sounds interesting! will let you know if i ever make one! :)

      Delete