Tuesday, February 22, 2011

matcha green tea chiffon cake


My friend Diana's birthday was on Valentine's Day, and since she loves green tea I decided to make her something with matcha green tea powder.  Since I've been experimenting with chiffon cakes lately (see here and here), I baked her a two-layer green tea chiffon cake.


To keep it light, I filled and frosted it with whipped cream that I made with heavy cream, matcha green tea powder, and powdered sugar.  I wanted to try something different from my usual basketweave cakes (see here, here, and here), so instead I piped simple vertical lines along the sides, and piped a beaded border.  I wasn't too happy with the results though - since I was piping with whipped cream (instead of buttercream), the lines were not smooth (and resembled worms, in my opinion).  Next time I'll try this with buttercream or royal icing, or maybe just a larger sized tip for more of a "columns" effect.


To tie in with Valentine's day, I decorated it with chocolate hearts that I piped onto waxed paper, and assembled into a "bouquet" in the middle of the cake.


As a finishing touch, I dusted the middle with just a touch of green tea powder.  At first I liked this effect, since the chocolate became speckled with green, but after a little while the green tea powder melted into the whipped cream below it and started to look like green mold :( Sorry Diana!


In the end, the cake was tender and light, and perfect after a big birthday meal of artisan pizza.  Hope you had a happy birthday Diana!

9 comments:

  1. sooo cute with the added hearts in the middle! happy b-day diana :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope Diana had a happy birthday. She is so lucky to have you as a friend.
    The cake is exquisite!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this looks amazing! i'm thinking of making it for my bf's birthday. i was curious, about how much matcha powder did you use for the cake/whipped cream?

    ReplyDelete
  4. @jackie - i used about 3 teaspoons of matcha powder for 2 cups of heavy cream. oh, and i made this cake again recently - see http://i-heart-baking.blogspot.com/2011/03/more-green-tea-chiffon-cake-two.html
    let me know how it turns out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi dear, where can i find ur receipe :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. @genevieve - i used the same recipe as for the coffee chiffon cake, except modified it to use green tea ... instead of the coffee, i used milk, and i sifted the green tea powder into the flour mixture. let me know how it turns out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so incredibly talented in both baking and photography. This is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets - thank you so much! soo flattered, especially since it's coming from you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Hi! I'm in love with your baking. Could you provide instructions to me on how to make it on huong.lee@hotmail.co.uk ? :P X

    ReplyDelete