Monday, December 20, 2010

hello kitty mini cupcakes


Last Thursday was my little Melodie's first birthday!  I wanted to make Hello Kitty cupcakes to bring to her little celebration at daycare, so I decided to make mini cupcakes since there would only be babies and toddlers there.  I decided on a fresh strawberry batter from Martha Stewart's "Cupcakes" book for the cake, and cream cheese frosting to go on top.


I used the smallest scooper I had to fill the mini cupcake pan.  Once the mini cupcakes were cooled, I piped Hello Kitty with cream cheese frosting, and gave her a pink nose and bow.


Then I made regular-sized cupcakes for the teachers.  I had found cute Hello Kitty cupcake liners a while ago, and this was the perfect time to use them!


To make them look a little different from the mini cupcakes, I did a basket weave piping with cream cheese frosting, and then piped Hello Kitty on top in pink (the exact opposite from the Hello Kitty birthday cupcakes I did before).


At the party, Melodie was a little confused by the cupcake at first, but once she tasted it there was no stopping her.  She loved it and ate the whole thing!




10 comments:

  1. Your cupcakes are just adorable. They are all perfectly decorated. Happy birthday to your little Melody.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @briarrose and Adora's Box - thank you! it was fun making them. even if i was up until 3am :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to make cupcakes for my daughter's seventh birthday. If only hope they come out half as cute as yours. How did you learn to decorate? -- karine

    ReplyDelete
  4. @karine - aww happy early birhtday to your daughter! what kind of cupcakes are you planning on making? i'm sure they will come out super cute! to answer your question, most of my stuff is trial and error, but i eventually did take a cake class at michael's where they taught the basics to piping.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are super cute. I would like to make these for my daughters 1st birthday. Happy birthday to your little girl

    ReplyDelete
  6. so cute! did you pipe hello kitty freehand with just icing? great job on these!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @sugarswings - thank you! yes i piped them freehand with cream cheese frosting. i used a wide round tip for the face, a leaf tip for the ears, and a small round tip for the details (eyes, nose, whiskers, bow).

    ReplyDelete
  8. BEAUTY!
    congratulations of Brazil!
    ^_^"

    vanessacupcake.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete