Thursday, April 14, 2011

orange creamsicle ice cream


My mom has been bringing bags and bags full of oranges to our house every weekend, much more than we can finish.  I was trying to think  of what I could make with all these oranges, possibly some kind of sherbet or sorbet?  A quick glance at my David Lebovitz ice cream book led me to what I was looking for .... orange creamsicle ice cream!


The recipe calls for grated orange zest in addition to freshly squeezed orange juice - perfect for using up lots of oranges!  And with the recent warm weather, orange creamsicles in ice cream form sounded perfect.


After blending up the orange zest with sugar, and then adding yogurt and heavy cream, it was ready to be churned.  The resulting ice cream was fresh, creamy, and perfectly orangey.  If you've ever had Orange Julius, that's what it reminded me of.  I'll definitely be making this one again!

6 comments:

  1. Oh , just YUM! Love oranges, love the cream and yoghurt combo. Will make this for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a neat post! Looking forward for more post from you. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. With this hot i would enjoy that bowl of icecream...Lovelly!!

    Kisses,
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to try this!! Michele, you've inspired me to buy a ice cream machine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @hsing - yay! ice cream machines are awesome!

    @adora's box - yes the yogurt made it extra tangy! let me know how it turns out!

    @ana rita - it is very good on a hot day. too bad the weather is all the sudden gloomy over here!

    @mr. capoeira sydney - thank you! and i have many more ice cream posts to come!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there! :) I really like your blog and am awarding you The Versatile Blogger Award. You can read more about it here: http://thekidisrich.blogspot.com/2011/04/versatile-blogger-award.html

    Thanks!

    Alex

    ReplyDelete