Monday, March 19, 2012

baby shower duckie cake and cupcakes


To go along with the baby shower duckie and onesie cookies that I made a while back, I also made an 8-inch red velvet cake, one dozen chocolate cupcakes, and one dozen vanilla cupcakes.  For the red velvet, I used a recipe from Martha Stewart's "Cupcakes" book, except that I baked it in two 8-inch pans instead of making cupcakes.  Then for the filling, I whipped up a batch of cream cheese frosting and spread it onto the first layer of cake.



For the frosting, I made a batch of buttercream, and then added a stick of cream cheese to it at the end (this is my favorite frosting to use lately).  Then I tinted it lightly with sky blue coloring, to match the blue in the onesie cookies that I had made.


After first adding a "crumb coat" of frosting and letting that set in the fridge for a bit, I added another layer of frosting to the top only, and smoothed it out as well as I could with an offset spatula.  Then I piped on a basketweave design on the sides of the cake.


To finish off the basketweave design, I piped on a shell border around the top and the bottom of the cake.


Next I piped on a duckie using yellow frosting for the body, orange frosting for the beak, and brown frosting for the eyes.  I filled in the duckie body with a star tip, and used a #3 tip to pipe a swirly design for the wing.



The final touch was to pipe on a congratulations message with melted chocolate!


Since the cake would not be enough to serve the guests, I also baked one dozen chocolate cupcakes, and one dozen vanilla cupcakes.  I used the same piped basketweave design to cover half of them with blue frosting, and half of them with white frosting.  Then all of them were topped with a little piped yellow duckie, the same way I did the duckie cupcakes that I made a couple years ago.




I hope the happy parents-to-be enjoyed all of the goodies!


19 comments:

  1. OMG I really love this, you are so talented in making those baby shower cakes and cupcakes. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your piping is unbelievable! I've never seen something so pretty and perfect. These cakes would be really great for Easter, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute!!!! And I bet the cake is delicious, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally neat!Envy your piping skills!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you're really a master piper. I LOVE the little ducklings. What a super cute cake and cupcakes. That couple is really lucky to have had you make their baby shower goodies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Greetings from Sweden! Googled on Hello Kitty cupcakes and ended up on your blog, and I'm hooked now. Your baking skills are just amazing, love everything you post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Helen Holmberg - thanks for such a lovely comment! :)

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. @photo baby shower invitations - thank you! :)

      Delete
  8. omg be on cupcake wars!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Anonymous - haha, i wish! thanks for the support though :) i love that show!

      Delete
  9. HOW TO APPLY:

    To be considered for the show, please e-mail us your name, the name of your business (and website if applicable), your phone number and a photo to: CupcakeWars3@gmail.com

    Be sure to tell us what makes you the perfect candidate for Cupcake Wars.



    http://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/cupcake-wars-casting/index.html


    PLEASE

    ReplyDelete
  10. Would u consider sharing your sugar cookievrecipe-my email is roniwoll105@gmail.com! Love your perfect piping!! I have a few showers coming up at my home and love to make desserts for them along with dec's, invites etc!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Would u consider sharing your sugar cookievrecipe-my email is roniwoll105@gmail.com! Love your perfect piping!! I have a few showers coming up at my home and love to make desserts for them along with dec's, invites etc!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Veronica Woll - thanks for your comment! my sugar cookie (and royal icing) recipes are actually in my book! enjoy! http://amzn.to/1mEKwi2

      Delete
  12. I have been planning my son's first birthday party and found your cake as inspiration. I keep coming back to it! It is PERFECTION. Modern, but sweet. Simple and perfect for a baby boy. And your writing is amazing--such a different style for cakes. And the cupcakes! I usually find them cheesy, but these are gorgeous!!!

    I also clicked your above link to your cookbook and I am SOLD! I'm a huge Hello Kitty fan and I am so excited I found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Ellen - thank you so much for the sweet comments! i'm so glad you got the book, hope you like it! happy birthday to your son!!!

      Delete